Applications for the 2021 HMS Scholarship Awards Now Open
The HMS scholarship award is given annually to undergraduate and graduate students whose academic program and research studies have the potential to address the most serious issues in handling hazardous materials, dangerous goods, environmental issues, health & safety challenges. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents enrolled in accredited U.S. academic institutions.
Objective and Non-Discriminatory Criteria
The HMS Scholarship Committee has objective and non-discriminatory criteria by which each scholarship application is judged to determine finalists who are then evaluated by the HMS Board of Directors. The criteria are:
- Research Proposal: Is the problem the applicant is addressing clearly defined?
- Research Proposal: Is the problem of technical, environmental or social importance?
- Research Proposal: Does addressing the problem create a benefit and contribute towards HMS’s mission?
- Research Proposal: Is the proposal organized with a clear identification of tasks, research approach, and deliverables?
- Letter[s] of Recommendation: The strength of the letter[s] of recommendation is weighed.
- Publications: Has the applicant’s work on this or other topics of a similar nature been published?
Scholarship finalists will be invited to present their research at the annual HMS Conference with award announcements made at the conference.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT SCHOLARSHIP AWARD APPLICATIONS IS FEBRUARY 28, 2021. All submissions and associated materials must be submitted using online form.