Hazardous Materials Specialist
We are Astra. Our mission is to launch a new generation of services to connect and improve life on earth. We are a small, highly ambitious team with deep technical expertise who love to build things and relish the idea of a grand challenge.
We strive to deliver routine access to earth orbit for enterprises launching services powered by small satellites. Building on over a decade of technology development in rocket propulsion, structures, and avionics, we are applying an agile approach to space launch.
Our headquarters in Alameda, between San Francisco and Oakland, is a sprawling campus supporting full cycle rocket production (e.g. design, manufacturing, test) and mission control. Come thrive at Astra!
Safety is mission critical to Astra’s success. You’ll be joining a small but growing team of topnotch environmental, health, and safety (EHS) professionals as we transition from a small R&D startup to a vertically integrated rocket company.
As a Hazardous Materials Specialist on the EHS Team, you will have the opportunity to develop, improve, and scale health and safety programs from the ground up! You will keep folks safe and healthy by supporting dynamic day-to-day operations across all Astra facilities.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
· Develop, implement, and manage EHS programs, including but not limited to the Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP), Hazardous Materials Management Plan (HMMP) Hazard Communication Program, SPCC Plan, Emergency Action Plan (EAP), spill response procedure, and hazardous waste program.
· Manage chemical inventory, SDS system, and implement a chemical approval process.
· Determine chemical compatibilities, manage hazmat storage, and advise on hazmat best practices.
· Support logistics of shipping hazmat and related equipment in accordance with DOT and IATA.
· Manage hazwaste following RCRA, DOT, and applicable local, state, federal, and international regulations.
· Make hazwaste determination, oversee hazwaste accumulation areas, and conduct inspections.
· Coordinate hazwaste profiling, manifesting, pickup, transport, and disposal across land and sea.
· Provide emergency spill response and maintain emergency equipment.
· Report all hazmat, hazwaste, and spills/releases to respective agencies (e.g., NRC, Cal OES, CUPA).
· Conduct hazard assessments and determine personal protective equipment (PPE) needs.
· Develop and conduct safety training.
· Support other occupational health and safety initiatives across Astra facilities.
Why We Value You
· You have more than seven years of practical, hands-on experience with the implementation of hazardous materials and hazardous waste programs in industrial and/or manufacturing environments.
· You have a Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Certified Hazardous Materials Practitioner (CHMP), or other applicable certification.
· You have experience working in hazardous environments with varying degrees of controls.
· You have developed and implemented EHS programs from scratch.
· You hold HAZWOPER and/or other hazardous waste/emergency response qualifications.
· You can work effectively and efficiently under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines.
· You are comfortable with ambiguity and change.
· BS/BA degree in a chemistry or a related field from an accredited college or university.
· Competency and comfort with compressed gas systems, cryogens (LOX, LN2), and pyrophoric chemicals.
· Experience with growing tech companies and startup culture.
· Passion for Astra’s mission and vision for a healthier, more connected Earth.
To apply for this job please visit astra.com.